Reduce or eliminate your current year’s property tax obligation. Read more.
Graduate Summer Internship Program
The Detroit Mayor's Office is seeking graduate students for its annual Summer Policy Associate Program. Summer Policy Associates will report directly to Mayor Mike Duggan's senior staff and work on projects in the following areas: (1) Planning & Economic Development; (2) Public Health & Safety; (3) Administration & Central Services; (4) Transportation & Infrastructure; and (5) Technology & Finance.
Summer Policy Associates will gain a meaningful opportunity to learn about public service, policy-making, and the operations of local government by directly contributing to the executive branch of the City of Detroit. The range of issues Summer Policy Associates may be engaged in includes: public safety, education, economic development, urban planning, and community engagement.
Depending on the department you are assigned, The Summer Policy Associate Program has the potential to be a paid or unpaid internship.
Examples of Duties
Key responsibilities of Summer Policy Associates will include:
- Researching and drafting memoranda on key policy issues
- Interacting with senior-level staff from various City departments, community members, and local and national experts in a variety of policy fields
- Preparing briefing materials for senior staff meetings, strategy-planning sessions, City Council hearings, and press conferences.
- Interacting with senior-level staff from various City departments, community members, and local and national experts in a variety of policy fields.
- Participate or lead special projects involving governmental operations or services
The Program will begin on June 3rd, 2019 and run through August 9th, 2019. Participants are expected to work for the duration of the summer program. The City of Detroit can support students who wish to apply for funding at their home schools.
Must be currently enrolled as a Graduate Student, is willing to work as an unpaid intern and has not participated in any prior Graduate Intern Program with the City of Detroit.
Policy Associates are graduate students who are interested in pursuing careers in law, public policy, or government. Graduate school students in relevant disciplines such as law (JD), public policy (MPP/MPA), public health, urban planning, business (MBA), quantitative fields and governmental studies are encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcript through our online application system. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until filled, the first application review period will begin on February 28th.
In your cover letter, please mention:
- Why you are interested in working for the City of Detroit
- Your prior exposure to or interest in local government policy-making
- The skills you are most looking to use or develop over the summer
- Which project area you are most interested in working in
Please be advised that failure to submit a resume, cover letter or unofficial transcript may prevent you from further consideration.