Los fondos para Medicaid, almuerzos escolares, policía y bomberos se basan en el recuento del censo. Leer más ...
City of Detroit reminds residents to claim Earned Income Tax Credit and increase their tax refund
- Taxathon event provides free tax preparation for Detroiters by appointment only
- Appointments still available at free tax preparation and Drop & Go locations across Detroit
- Residents can utilize free tax preparation software and claim the credit
- For more information, residents can call 211 or visit www.claimyourrefund.com
Detroit residents still have time to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and increase the size of their tax refund, but they only have until the tax filing deadline of Monday, April 15.
As part of a final push to help residents claim the credit, the City of Detroit, Accounting Aid Society, Bloomberg Associates, United Way for Southeast Michigan and Wayne Metro are holding a Taxathon, an event to provide free tax preparation for income-eligible residents. The Taxathon event is April 4 & 5 at the Northwest Activities Center, 18100 Meyers. It is open to Detroit residents by appointment only. Individuals should call 211 to schedule an appointment.
The EITC is available to working families and individuals who meet certain income requirements. To receive the credit, individuals must file a tax return, even if they don’t owe any taxes or are otherwise not required to file. Detroiters looking for more information on how to take advantage of the EITC can visit www.claimyourrefund.com or call 211.
In addition to the Taxathon, there are several other options for those looking to claim the credit.
APPLY FOR THE EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT ON YOUR OWN
Individuals can file their own taxes for free by using online software. Turbo Tax Free File is available to anyone with income up to $34,000 or up to $66,000 for active military or anyone who qualifies for EITC. The program includes federal, state and local tax returns and can handle self-employed tax returns.
MyFreeTaxes in partnership with United Way is available to those with an income of less than $66,000. The MyFreeTaxes.com program can handle almost any tax situation, but does not include local taxes. Individuals using MyFreeTaxes will need to file the City of Detroit tax return separately.
APPLY FOR THE CREDIT AT FREE TAX PREPARATION SITES OR DROP & GO LOCATIONS
Individuals with income up to $55,000 qualify for free, in-person tax preparation services at the locations listed below. Individuals may still make appointments to meet with a volunteer to complete their tax return or use the Drop & Go locations.
Detroit Public Library (Main Branch), 5201 Woodward Avenue, Detroit 48202 | 313-556-1920
Duffield Branch Library, 2507 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit 48208 | Saturdays • 313-481-1712
Northend Financial Hub, 1550 Taylor St., Detroit 48206 | Mondays - Fridays • 313-556-1920
Wayne Metro - Lakeshore Bldg., 7310 Woodward Ave., Detroit 48202 | Wednesdays • 313-388-9799
Coleman Young Recreation Center, 2751 Robert Bradby Drive, Detroit 48207 | Saturdays • 313-556-1920
Fisher Magnet Upper Academy, 15491 Maddelein St, Detroit 48205 | Tuesdays - Saturdays • 313-556-1920
Samaritan Center, 5555 Conner Street, Detroit 48213 | Thursdays • 313-388-9799
Adams Butzel Recreation Center, 10500 Lyndon Street, Detroit 48238 • 313-556-1920
Focus:HOPE, 1300 Oakman Blvd., Detroit 48238 | Mondays - Fridays • 313-556-1920
Northwest Financial Hub, 7800 W. Outer Drive, Detroit 48235 | Wednesdays - Saturdays • 313-556-1920
Southwest Financial Hub, 2826 Bagley, Detroit 48216 | Tuesdays - Saturdays • 313-556-1920
University of Detroit-Mercy, 4001 W. McNichols, Detroit 48221 | Saturdays • 313-556-1920
Northwest Activities Center, 18100 Meyers, Detroit 48235 | Fridays • 313-388-9799
Drop & Go Partners and Locations
At these locations, individuals leave their documentation and return to pick up the completed return.
- Abayomi Community Development Corporation, 24331 W. Eight Mile, Detroit 48219
- Coleman Young Recreation Center, 2751 Robert Bradby Dr., Detroit 48207
- Focus: HOPE, 1200 Oakman Blvd., Detroit 48238
- Goodwill Industries, 3111 Grand River, Detroit 48208
- Matrix Human Services, 13560 E. McNichols, Detroit 48205
- SER Metro (Samaritan Center), 5555 Conner, Detroit 48213
- SER Metro, 5200 Stecker, Dearborn 48126
- SER Metro (Northwest Activities Center), 18100 Meyers Road, Detroit 48235
- Southwest Economic Solutions, 2835 Bagley - Suite 800, Detroit 48224
- U-SNAP-BAC, 14901 E. Warren, Detroit 48224