Sewerage Backup Claims

Do you have an overflow or sewer backup?

Contact the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) immediately at 

upon discovery of an overflow or sewer backup. If you have an overflow or sewer backup into your home or business, complete a DWSD Claim Form (instructions below) after you have contacted the department. State law requires you file a written claim with your local water utility, DWSD in this case, within 45 days after the overflow or backup was discovered.

Did you file a claim with DWSD?

DWSD reviews your claim and responds within 90 days of the 45-day deadline as noted above. There is no need to contact DWSD to follow-up on your claim -- it will not fast-track the process. In some instances, DWSD staff or representative may contact you for additional information such as receipts and photographs.

Claim Form Instructions:
  • Download and complete  on your computer or mobile device then print and sign, or print and complete by hand.
  • If you need step-by-step instructions, view this file.
  • The claim form must be completed in its entirety and supporting documents must be attached. Failure to provide the required documentation will bar your claim.
  • Mail the claim form to:
    Detroit Water and Sewerage Department
    6425 Huber
    Detroit, MI  48211
    ATTN: Claims Division