How Am I Charged?
The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) wants to help you understand your monthly bill. In November 2016, the department has introduced an entirely new design with these improvements:
- Easy to read
- Less cluttered - detail when you want it
- Clearly identify your amount due
- Usage comparison
- Ways to pay your bill
The Detroit water, sewer and drainage rates are reviewed every spring and adjusted, if needed, every summer. The Detroit Board of Water Commissioners, in a public forum, reviews and approves the rates for Detroit residential and commercial customers.
Several factors are computed as part of the Detroit water and sewer rates. They include:
- Water purchased through the Great Lakes Water Authority;
- Citywide volume usage;
- Operation and maintenance of distribution lines, water mains and sewer infrastructure;
- Capital improvement programs;
- Sewerage disposal;
- Collecting and treating rain water and snow melt from rooftops, lawns and paved surfaces;
- Cost of noncollectable accounts from residents and businesses; and
- Debt payments.