Tax Preparation Checklist

Important documents and information you need to bring with you to get your 2018 tax returns and tax credit forms prepared and filed

Identification/Social Security Numbers

  •  Photo ID: Driver’s License, State ID, or Detroit ID for yourself and spouse
  •  Social Security cards for yourself, spouse, and each dependent
  •  Taxpayers filing a joint return must both be present when the tax returns are prepared. Both spouses must sign a joint tax return.


Income Statements or Forms (all that apply)

  •  A copy of last year’s return (2017)
  •  Wages (all Forms W-2)
  •  Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
  •  Pension (Form 1099-R)
  •  Social Security (Form SSA-1099)
  •  Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Letter from SSA
  •  Interest/Dividends (Form 1099-INT or 1099-DIV)
  •  DHS Assistance (DHS Annual Client Statement)
  •  Child Support (Child Support Annual Statement)
  •  Gambling/Lottery Winnings (Form W-2G)
  •  Miscellaneous Income (Form 1099-MISC)
  •  Any other income documentation you may have


Proof of Expenses

  •  Mortgage Interest (Form 1098)
  •  Medical or HMO Premiums paid for self and any family members
  •  Affordable Care Act Statements (all that apply)
    •  Form 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace
    •  Form 1095-B Health Coverage
    •  Form 1095-C Employer-Provided Insurance
  •  Dependent care expenses
  •  Student loan interest—Form 1098-E
    Tuition and course materials— Form 1098-T
    Account transcript from school


Amount of Annual Heating Costs—for the Home Heating Credit

  •  The amount you were billed for heating your home from 11/01/2017 to 10/31/2018. This information should be on your Dec. or Jan. utility bill. If you cannot find it, contact your heat provider. 
    The Home Heating Credit is available for homeowners and renters.


Homeowners—for the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit

  •  The 2018 taxable value of your home
  •  A complete copy of your summer and winter property tax bills for 2018


Renters—for the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit

  •  Your lease or rental contract
  •  Rent receipts for 2018
  •  Your landlord’s name and address


Direct Deposit: Fastest and safest way to receive your refund

  •  Your bank or credit union name
  •  Routing number
  •  Account number (must show proof)