For Homeless Residents and/ or Family Members/ Friends
If you are homeless in the City of Detroit or, if you are a family member or friend of a Detroit homeless resident in need of a Detroit ID, please see the information below or call a Customer Services Operator at 313-573-5327 for information about requirements for the "D-ID' Card.
To Apply for the D-ID the Following Documents are Required:
- Category A ID Documents. One Proof of ID with a photograph form Category A listed on the D-ID application Check List;
- Example: HMIS ID Card. A homeless Detroit resident may be eligible for a HMIS ID card accepted as Proof of ID to apply for the Detroit ID Card. HMIS is an acronym for Homeless Management Information System. The HMIS ID card is issued by agencies servicing homeless residents.
- If the homeless applicant DOES NOT have an HMIS ID Card or any other photo ID listed on Category A list, please call 313-774-5388 for assistance.
- Category B ID Documents. One or more documents from Category B, listed on the D-ID Application Check List;
- Witness Affidavit-If the applicant HAS an accepted Category A document worth 200 points but lacks others ID documents, a family member or friend can sign a Witness Affidavit before a Notary Public (200 points) to testify the applicant is who he/she claims to be, available Here
- The applicant must present the signed, notarized Witness Affidavit together with the Category A documents
- The Category A and Category B documents together must total 300 points
- Proof of Detroit Residency. Any document listed in Category C (Proof of City of Detroit Residency) on the D-ID Application Check List that is current or dated within the previous 60 days from the D-ID application date is acceptable. For example, a medical, shelter, or social service letter mailed to the address used for the D-ID application.
- The Detroit ID card will provide identification card during same day in person appointment! For information call (313) 774-5388.
- If the applicant has NO Proof of Detroit City Residency, please call 313-774-5388 for assistance.
- Chronically Homeless Self-Statement Certification. The applicant will be provided this form to sign at his/her appointment by D-ID intake staff to testify he/she is indeed homeless and therefore qualifies for free card.
Office Hours of Operation and Locations
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Detroit Health Department 100 Mack Avenue, Detroit 48201, (1st floor)
Monday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Wednesday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Patton Recreation Center 2301 Woodmere, Detroit, Mi 48209
To make an appointment for your client:
Homeless applicants who have the Category A and B documents and a Proof of Residency document can make an appointment: