Apply in Person. By Mail. Online
A license is proof of ownership and that a dog has been vaccinated against rabies. Detroit's license is shaped like a bone and each license bears a unique identification number that shows your dog is registered to you.
Dog License Fees:
- Neutered $10.00
- Not Neutered $15.00
What You Need for A Dog License
- Owner Identification
- Proof of Rabies Vaccine
- Payment (Cash, Check, Money Order) Made Payable to City of Detroit
Dog Licensing Requirements:
- Licenses will not be issued if there are fewer than 31 days until the rabies vaccine expires. You will need to get your dog vaccination updated prior to applying for a license.
- A rabies vaccine MUST be given by a veterinarian.
- Licenses are not transferable between individuals or dogs
- You will need proof that your dog is currently vaccinated against rabies prior to applying for a license online. A copy of the rabies certificate bearing the manufacturer, serial number, date the animal was vaccinated, veterinarian's signature and license number must be received prior to a license tag being issued.
- The license tag will be mailed to the mailing address you provide
Apply In Person at Detroit Animal Care and Control Headquarters during normal business hours.