COVID-19 City Resources


Free Meals for Children (up to 18 years old)


The Parks and Recreation Division of the General Services Department is providing meals for children at participating recreation centers. Parents and children may pick up multiple meals to suit their needs. Meals are offered, Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at these locations:


  • Adams Butzel Recreation Center, 10500 Lyndon
  • Farwell Recreation Center, 2711 Outer Dr E
  • Kemeny Recreation Center, 2260 S. Fort St.
  • Patton Recreation Center, 2301 Woodmere  

These additional recreation centers will offer meal pick up on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.

  • Crowell Recreation Center, 16630 Lahser 
  • Lasky Recreation Center, 13200 Fenelon


DPSCD is now serving meals for children Mondays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.,  at 17 schools across the City of Detroit. For a complete list, click here:

Participating Charter Schools
Mon-Friday, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m., although dates and times may vary by location.

  • Cornerstone Health and Technology High School, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Mon/Wed/Fri for students 18 and under
  • Cornerstone Jefferson-Douglass Academy, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Mon/Wed/Fri for students 18 and under
  • Cornerstone Lincoln-King Academy (Adams Young Campus), 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Mon/Wed/Fri for students 18 and under
  • Cornerstone Washington-Parks, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Mon/Wed/Fri for students 18 and under
  • Cornerstone Madison-Carver Academy, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Mon/Wed/Fri for students 18 and under
  • Covenant House Academy Detroit (SW Site)
  • Covenant House Academy Detroit (Central Site)
  • Detroit Academy of Arts & Sciences
  • Detroit Achievement Academy
  • Detroit Edison Public School Academy, 11 a.m. – 2p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for students 18 and under and adults with special needs up to age 26
  • Detroit Enterprise Academy, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. daily for students 18 and under
  • Detroit Leadership Academy (High School)
  • Detroit Leadership Academy (Prek-8 Site)
  • Detroit Merit Charter Academy, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. daily for students 18 and under
  • Detroit Premier Academy, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. daily for students 18 and under
  • Detroit Prep
  • Escuela Avancemos, 1 – 3 p.m. Tuesdays for Escuela students
  • Hope Academy, 9 a.m. – 2p.m. Tue/Wed/Thu for students 1 and under
  • New Paradigm College Prep, 11 a.m. – 2p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for students 18 and under and adults with special needs up to age 26
  • New Paradigm Glazer Academy, 11 a.m. – 2p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for students 18 and under and adults with special needs up to age 26
  • New Paradigm Loving Academy, 11 a.m. – 2p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for students 18 and under and adults with special needs up to age 26
  • Plymouth Education Center, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturdays
  • University Prep Academy High School, 12 – 4 p.m. on Monday and Thursday


Meals for Seniors
The Detroit Area Agency on Aging (DAAA) is providing frozen meals for seniors ages 60 and up. Seniors can pick up five days worth of meals every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the following recreation centers:

  • Butzel Family Center, 7737 Kercheval, Detroit, MI 
  • Farwell Recreation Center, 2711 Outer Dr E, Detroit, MI 
  • Patton Community Center, 2301 Woodmere St, Detroit, MI
  • Joseph Walker Williams Center, 8431 Rosa Parks Blvd., Detroit, MI


Groceries for Families
While Detroit area grocery stores are restocking their shelves regularly, The City of Detroit is also working with Gleaners to provide alternative sites where families can get groceries.  Starting this week, Gleaners added two additional sites with more to come online soon. Gleaners will provide two weeks of groceries to families with children at four Recreation Centers:

  • Roberto Clemente Recreation Center, 2631 Bagley
    2:30 PM – 5:30 PM, Every other Wednesday started March 25
  • Heilmann Recreation Center, 19601 Crusade
    2:30 PM – 5:30 PM, Every other Thursday starting March 26
  • Coleman A. Young Recreation Center, 2751 Robert Bradby Drive
    1:30 – 4:30 PM, Every other Saturday starting March 28
  • Butzel Family Center, 7737 Kercheval
    9:00 am – 12:00 PM, Every other Monday starting March 30

Gleaners is still providing groceries through their existing partners across the region, which can be found here.


Restaurant Carryout Zone
On March 16, Governor Whitmer restricted restaurant service to delivery and carry-out service only.  To assist restaurants out during this time, the City of Detroit has created a temporary program to provide Carryout Zones for restaurants. Any restaurant that requests an on-street Carryout Zone will be given one for no fee.

Program Details: The Restaurant Carryout Zone is intended to make it convenient for customers to pick-up orders from restaurants. It is the expectation that restaurants will take orders to the customer’s vehicle to reduce exposure to COVID-19. To request a Restaurant Carryout Zone, fill out this online form. Signage will be installed by the Department of Public Works within 48 to 72 hours of your request. The program is 100% free to City of Detroit restauranteurs and does not require a permit, only a completed application. This is a temporary program that will be evaluated over the upcoming weeks. For more information, please contact Dayo Akinyemi, Department of Public Works Deputy Director, at 313.224.3901 or at [email protected]

For more information and a list of participating locations, click here

Bar and Restaurant owners: Donate your surplus food!

The City of Detroit is partnering with Forgotten Harvest and Detroit restaurants to “rescue” surplus food that otherwise might go to waste during the COVID-19 outbreak and provide to local area agencies for residents in need. Not only will the donations help families in need, they also will support participating businesses financially by unlocking tax deductions. Businesses interested in participating can find more information and fill out this form. Restaurants with over 500 lbs of food to donate are eligible to coordinate pick up by Forgotten Harvest and should indicated on sign up form. Restaurants with donations available under 500 lbs but are unable to coordinate transport should also indicate on sign up form, delivery assistance will be coordinated.

Acceptable Food Rescue Donations

  • Prepared food that is:
    • Prepared less than 4 days from today’s date
    • In foil pan with either secured foil lid or covered in film wrap with foil on top
    • Properly labeled
    • Properly cooled
  • Perishable/non-prepared food must be refrigerated at 41°F or below
  • Any non-perishable food with labels and packaging intact

Food that cannot be donated

  • Food that is open, left out for sampling or not properly cooled
  • Any fish or seafood (raw or frozen)
  • Uncooked or unfrozen protein
  • Open cut produce
  • Non-frozen prepared food that is 4 days or older


Food for Pets
Michigan Humane Society’s Pet Pantry program offers temporary, emergency pet food assistance for cats and dogs. Program hours are 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays located at 6175 Trumbull Ave, Detroit MI 48208. The Pet Pantry is operating via contactless, curb-side pick-up. No appointment needed. If you have questions, please contact 313-324-8735.


COVID-19 Transportation Services

Transportation services will be available to residents of the City of Detroit who do not have their own means of transportation for the purpose of COVID-19 testing. All trip requests will be centrally scheduled and not by calling the transportation provider directly. If you are interested in serving as a transportation provider for this operation, please complete the fields in this webform we will contact you. If you have any questions, please contact Mark de la Vergne [email protected].


Requirements for Transportation Providers Interested in Providing COVID-19 Transportation Services

  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Copy of W9 
  • Sample invoice
  • Vehicle Information Form- provides information about each vehicle (make, model, VIN, seating capacity, mode)
  • Driver Information Form- provides information about each of their drivers (names, DOB, Driver’s License, etc.)


Insurance Requirements

General Liability - To include Premises/Completed Operations, Contractual, Personal Injury, Contractual, Personal Injury and Independent Providers with a minimum limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 Aggregate.

Automobile Liability - To include “any auto” or all Owned, Non-Owned and Hired Auto, to cover all vehicles operated by Provider under this contract, with a minimum combined single limit of $1,000,000 per accident for bodily injury and property damage.

Get a Ride, Get a Test

Beginning Monday, April 6th, Detroiters can get a $2 ride to the Joe Dumars Fieldhouse at the State Fairgrounds to receive a COVID-19 test. People that can't provide the $2 will still be able to get a ride. The COVID-19 tests at the Fairgrounds are free, and 30 Detroit physician offices are now accepting new patients, even without insurance. 

How it works:

  1. Call Your Doctor to get a prescription - If you have symptoms of coughing, fever, or shortness of breath, contact your doctor to get a prescription for a test. If you don’t have a doctor or don’t have insurance, click here to find a list of providers in the City. 
  2. Make a Fairgrounds Appointment - Once your doctor orders a prescription, your test is free. Call 313-230-0505 to make an appointment. 
  3. Don’t have transportation? - Tell the call taker who books your Fairgrounds appointment. They will connect you directly to the car service to book your $2 ride. The rides are only for Detroiters being picked up and dropped off at a Detroit residence.
    1. Wheelchair accessible transportation options to the testing site are separate from the city's existing paratransit service.
    2. Patients will be able to have a family, friend, or caregiver go with them.
  4. The day of your test - When your driver arrives, bring your identification (if you don’t have a state issued ID, you can bring any other piece of identification such as a work badge, utility bill, etc.) and your prescription. Both the driver and passenger will be asked to wear masks and gloves for their protection.  After the test, the driver will take you back home.

Special thank you to IntelliRide for providing transportation services, and Gary Torgow and ITC Holdings for their generous contributions that made the transportation program possible.


Detroiters who need their water turned on can sign up for DWSD’s Water Restart Plan. If you sign up before April 9, you don’t have to put any money down. The State of Michigan will cover it for you! Just come in, sign up and turn your water on. Since the $25 Water Restart Plan was announced on March 9, more than 1,300 customers have taken advantage of it.

If you’re a Detroit resident living without water in your home or have received a notice of service interruption, call Wayne Metro at 313-386-9727 to make an appointment and sign up.

Customers also must make a monthly minimum payment of $25 during the time there is a risk of outbreak in Detroit to avoid service interruption. The amount of each customer’s previous bills will be deferred until after the COVID-19 situation is under control. At that time, residents will be transitioned to the WRAP or a 10-30-50 Payment Plan, both of which will keep their water service on as long as they remain current. 

Click here for more information.


Moratorium on all evictions in the City of Detroit
Effective immediately, the 36th District Court has issued a moratorium on evictions due to the coronavirus. Visit the 36th District Court for more information about the court’s coronavirus contingency plan.

Homeowner’s Property Tax Assistance Program (HPTAP) Extension
HPTAP provides an opportunity for homeowners to be exempt from their current year property taxes based on household income or circumstances. If approved, you will still be responsible for any fees such as the solid waste fee. Homeowner Property tax exemptions are granted at three levels; full (100%), partial (50%), or 25%. The City has extended the deadline for HPTAP applications and will approve them on an on-going basis instead of four times a year. If residents submit their HPTAP by May 1st, it will be reflected on their summer tax bill. Information about how to apply for HPTAP can be found here

  • Pay as You Stay Program. If you are HPTAP approved, you may also qualify for “Pay As You Stay.” PAYS is a simple, three-part plan for residents with unpaid delinquent taxes that reduces the burden of those taxes.


Income Tax Deadline now July 15
Following the Federal and State decisions to push back the filing deadline for income taxes to July 15, the City of Detroit has pushed back the deadline for residents and non-residents who must file city income taxes to July 15th as well.


The City and it's shelter partners are expanding shelter in order to adhere to CDC standards, allowing for isolation of symptomatic people. If you or someone you know is experiencing homelessness, please contact Detroit's Coordinated Assessment Model (CAM) for shelter placement. CAM will first attempt to divert the household to another safe housing location, such as with friends or family. If CAM is not able to find another safe housing location for the household, they will direct them to a shelter. Prior to receiving a bed, shelter staff will take the household's temperature. If any member of the household has a fever or any other symptoms of COVID-19, staff will call for transport so the household can stay in another shelter location where they will be able to isolate from other shelter guests.  Please see information provided for CAM contact information. 


CAM information

Individuals typically have to go in person to see CAM but due to COVID-19, CAM has closed all in person locations. Effective Monday, March 23rd, CAM will be operating a phone line 7 days a week from 7:00am to 8:30pm. If you are in need of shelter, please call CAM at (313) 484-4449.

If you are a veteran, the Veteran Access Points will remain open for in-person visits.


Veteran Access Points Healthcare for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) 

4646 John R.

8:00am-8:00pm (S-S)


Veteran Comm. Resource & Referral Center (VCRRC)

301 Piquette St.

8:00am-2:00pm (M-F)


Medical teams visit homeless shelters to check for COVID-19 symptoms
The City is working closely with the 31 shelter providers in the city to ensure they have necessary personal protective equipment.  It also has set up a 125-bed facility in partnership with the Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries where homeless individuals at shelters who are exhibiting symptoms of illness can be taken and screened.  Each individual will have his or her own private room so they will not be exposed to others.  After being examined by medical staff, it will be determined on a case-by-case basis if each individual needs to be taken to the hospital, held for further observation or is well enough to return to the shelter.


List of Homeless Shelters in Detroit

  • Alternatives for Girls
    903 W Grand Blvd, (313) 361-4000
  • Cass Community Social Services
    11745 Rosa Parks Blvd, (313) 883-2277
  • COTS
    26 Peterboro St, (313) 831-3777
  • Covenant House Michigan
    2959 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, (313) 463-2000
  • Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries, (313) 993-4700
    150 Stimson Stree
    3840 Fairview
    12900 W. Chicago
    3535 Third St.
  • Freedom House
    1777 N Rademacher St, (313) 964-4320
  • Love Outreach
    17646 Greenview Ave, (313) 371-9100
  • Mariners Inn
    445 Ledyard St, (313) 962-9446
  • Michigan Veterans Foundation
    4626 Grand River Ave, (313) 831-5500
  • NSO, (313) 883-7246
  • Operation Get Down
    6821 Medbury St, (313) 925-4100
  • St. John
    14320 Kercheval, (313) 823-8323
  • The Salvation Army
    3737 Humboldt, (313) 361-6136
  • YWCA, (313) 259-9922


City of Detroit

the City of Detroit created a hub for all the resources and information your business needs during the COVID-19 crisis.

TechTown Small Business Stabilization Fund
Techtown, in collaboration with the City of Detroit and DEGC has developed the Detroit Small Business Stabilization Fund to provide working capital grants up to $5,000 to small neighborhood businesses whose income is at or below 80% of area median income and has ten or few employees. This particular outreach targets small businesses with low-income owners located in neighborhoods at high risk for displacement. The goal of the fund is to help small businesses bridge the gap until additional funding resources are announced. Application instructions will be make available later this week at  


Resources for Artists

03/18 DETROIT – The Detroit Office of Arts, Culture and Entrepreneurship is searching for foundations and organizations offering emergency grants for artists and entertainers during the Covid-19 outbreak. The following is a partial compilation of possible resources for artists and entertainers. Please do not use these sites to promote your talents or products. It is a list of places where you might get help during this difficult time. If you learn of others, please send them [email protected]. We will update this list and continue to search for local funding every day. -RR

  • First, take a look at the COVID freelancers resources
  • Foundation for Contemporary Arts Emergency Grants Program. Created in 1993 to further FCA’s mission to encourage, sponsor, and promote work of a contemporary, experimental nature, Emergency Grants is the only active, multi-disciplinary program that offers immediate assistance of this kind to artists living and working anywhere in the United States, for projects occurring in the U.S. and abroad. Each month FCA receives an average of 95 Emergency Grant applications and makes 12-15 grants ranging from $500 to $2,500. The FCA recommends that artists review all eligibility guidelines and FAQs before applying. Then complete our Eligibility Questionnaire, but please know that the questionnaire does not replace a thorough review of program guidelines.
  • ConvertKit: COVID-19 Grant [$500] - Marketing software company, ConvertKit, is offering grants of up to $500 to individual creative artists experiencing financial difficulty due to Coronavirus/COVID-19. Funding is intended to provide financial assistance to active creators who are undergoing economic hardship due to the Corona pandemic. Grants may be used by creators who have emergency requests related to medical, childcare, housing (rent or mortgage), or grocery needs. Apply here.
  • The Actors Fund. The fund provides a list of health insurance for artists in all disciplines.
  • The New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA). NYFA offers lists of emergency funds for artists nationwide in a variety of disciplines affected by recent natural disasters.
  • Carnegie Fund for Authors. The applicant must be an American author who has had at least one full-length work — fiction or nonfiction — published by a mainstream publisher. Works that applicants paid to have published are not eligible. Applicants must demonstrate need; the emergency may be because of illness or some other urgent need such as fire, flood, hurricane, etc. Documentation should be included with the application and can mean a doctor’s letter or other proof of the emergency situation. Get more information here.
  • Authors League Fund. The Fund gives open-ended, interest-free, no-strings-attached loans to professional writers and dramatists who find themselves in financial need because of medical or health-related problems, temporary loss of income or other misfortune.
  • The PEN Writers Fund. This fund offers financial to professional–published or produced–writers with serious financial difficulties. Depending on the situation, the fund gives grants or loans of up to $2,000. 
  • American Society of Journalists & Authors Writers Emergency Assistance Fund. This fund helps established freelance writers across the country who, because of advanced age, illness, disability, a natural disaster, or an extraordinary professional crisis, are unable to work. Membership in ASJA not required. No grants will be awarded to beginning freelancers seeking funding for writing projects or for works-in-progress of any kind. Maximum grant $3,500. More information.
  • CERF + (Formerly the Craft Emergency Relief Fund). CERF+ provides a safety net to support strong and sustainable careers. CERF+’s core services are education programs, advocacy, network building and emergency relief. CERF+ is currently focusing its relief aid on those infected with Covid-19 who require intensive medical care. More information.
  • The Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Foundation. The Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Emergency Grant program is intended to provide interim financial assistance to qualified painters, printmakers and sculptors whose needs are the result of an unforeseen, catastrophic incident, and who lack the resources to meet that situation. Each grant is given as one-time assistance for a specific emergency, examples of which are fire, flood, or emergency medical need. To be eligible for this program, an artist must be able to demonstrate a minimum involvement of 10 years in a mature phase of his or her work. Artists must work in the disciplines of painting, sculpture or printmaking. More information.
  • Musicians Foundation. This foundation helps professional musicians who have worked five or more years in the U.S. by providing emergency financial assistance in meeting current living, medical and allied expenses.  Applicants must be able to show that their music is or was their primary source of income. More information.
  • Jazz Musicians Emergency Fund. The JMEF is committed to helping jazz professionals, especially older musicians, overcome hard times and get back on their feet, making emergency funds available for immediate needs. They have programs for housing and emergency assistance, a network of pro bono medical care providers, and disaster relief.
  • MusicCares Foundation. MusiCares may grant short-term financial assistance for personal or addiction needs that have arisen due to unforeseen circumstances. Funding may be awarded for needs such as rent, car payments, insurance premiums, utilities, medical/dental expenses, psychotherapy, addiction treatment, sober living, and other personal expenses. Applicants must be able to show that they have worked in the music industry for at least five years or that they have six commercially released recordings or videos (singles).
  • Sweet Relief Musicians Fund. SRMF provides financial assistance to all types of career musicians who are facing illness, disability, or age-related problems. The applicant must be a musician who has regular public performances or performed on at least three widely released recordings (audio or audiovisual), or written music that has been performed on three widely released recordings or published on three occasions.


Coordination on Employment
The City is offering guidance to business owners on how to handle employees during this time.  More information can be found here. 


How to claim unemployment benefits in Michigan

If you have become unemployed due to the COVID-19 outbreak, you may qualify for unemployment insurance benefits. These benefits are intended to provide temporary income as you seek new employment. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed and able to, available for, and actively seeking suitable full-time work. Sign up online HERE or call 1-866-500-0017. If you are hearing impaired, TTY service is available at 1-866-366-0004.

Claim Your Stimulus Check

The vast majority of Detroiters are eligible to receive a stimulus check from the federal government this year. No further action is needed by taxpayers who filed tax returns in 2018 or 2019 and most seniors and retirees. Even if you have no income, you are still eligible, but you need to enter your payment information on the IRS website to receive your stimulus payment. This includes individuals with low or no earnings who normally don't file taxes. You could receive up to $1,200 for yourself ($2,400 for a married couple) and an additional $500 for each dependent child.

Get my Payment

Non-Filers: Enter Payment Here

Which IRS Tool to Use to Get Your Payment

Stimulus Check Information Center

If you haven't filed taxes or have no income, don’t miss out

If you are not required to file taxes, or if your income is under $12,200 ($24,400 for a married couple), you need to enter your payment information on the IRS website to get your stimulus payment. Even if you have no income, you are still eligible, and need to enter your information through this portal. If you are required to file taxes but did not file in 2018 or 2019, you can find free filing options through the IRS free file site, United Way's MyFreeTaxes,  or Virtual VITA for free tax prep assistance.

Virtual VITA is safe and reliable way for Accounting Aid Society or Wayne Metro to prepare your federal, state and city tax returns without in-person contact and at no cost. Using a secure, IRS-approved software, VIRTUAL VITA lets you use your smartphone, tablet, or computer’s camera and email address to upload your tax documents and electronic signature–without leaving your home. Schedule an appointment here.

Want to check on the status of your return

The Get My Payment tool has features to let taxpayers check on their stimulus check date and update direct deposit information. Get My Payment will show the projected date when a deposit has been scheduled, similar to the “Where’s My Refund tool” many taxpayers are already familiar with. Get My Payment also allows people a chance to provide their bank information. People who did not use direct deposit on their last tax return will be able to input information to receive the payment by direct deposit into their bank account, expediting receipt.
Get My Payment is updated once daily, usually overnight. The IRS urges taxpayers to only use Get My Payment once a day given the large number of people receiving Economic Impact Payments.

If you don’t have a bank account or prepaid debit card

It could take up to five months to receive your stimulus check by mail. To get your stimulus payment quickly through direct deposit, sign up for a bank account online and add your account information on the IRS website. This applies to non-filers and some individuals who did not receive direct deposit last year. If you don’t want to sign up for a bank account, you can link your prepaid debit card instead.

Here is a list of safe and affordable accounts that are certified as meeting the BankOn standards and can be opened online or through drive-up banking.

After you sign up, make sure to add your account information on the IRS website.

If you receive your stimulus payment by check, cash it without a fee! Chase will be cashing non-customer government stimulus checks with two forms of identification and waiving the cash checking fee. Find the approved ‘forms of identification’ list here, note that one form of identification must be from the primary ID column. JPMorgan Chase recognizes that not everyone has the ability to set up bank accounts online or is comfortable with financial institutions. This is an exception to their standard policy and will only apply to government stimulus checks.

To open an account, you may need one or more of the following on hand:

  • Social Security Number or ITIN number
  • State-issued identification (Driver’s License or State ID)
  • Country-issued identification card (passport)
  • Mailing address
  • Date of Birth

If you filed a tax return for 2019 or 2018, but didn’t choose direct deposit for tax refund. You may be able to use the Get My Payment tool on to provide direct deposit account information once the IRS has processed your return. If this tool doesn’t offer you the option to provide your direct deposit information, it means the IRS will mail your Economic Impact Payment.

Note: Each financial institution has its own procedure for account opening. None of these banks are associated with the City of Detroit, and bank names are being provided for informational purposes only. The City of Detroit is not responsible, directly or indirectly, for any bank's policies, procedures, or actions, and expressly disclaims any such responsibility. For any banking-related issues, please contact the bank directly.

If you’ve moved since you last filed taxes

If you recently moved and need to update your address, you can update it through the IRS website.

If you receive Social Security benefits

If you receive Social Security benefits and have no dependents, you don’t need to file a tax return. Your stimulus payment will be automatically deposited into the same account as your Social Security payments. If you have dependents you may need to file a tax return. Social Security is not the same as SSI. If you receive SSI (Supplemental Security Income), you will need to file a tax return to receive your stimulus payment.


Developed in partnership with the University of Michigan's Detroit Partnership on Economic Mobility.

Wayne Metro CARES Assistance

Wayne Metro understands that Detroiters are facing unprecedented challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In an effort to respond to the immediate needs of Detroit residents, Wayne Metro is implementing the CARES Relief & Recovery Services. Through this new initiative, residents of Detroit may qualify for assistance in the following areas; Food and Income Support, Water and Energy Assistance, Rent and Mortgage Assistance, Property Tax Assistance, Emergency Home Repair and Funeral Services for qualifying residents.

How to Access CARES Funds
Access the Wayne Metro CARES Relief & Recovery Services visit here or call the Wayne Metro CONNECT Center at (313) 388-9799. The CONNECT Center hours are Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m., and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.

Who Qualifies?

  • 200% of Poverty
  • Layoff, Decrease in Hours, Recipient of Unemployment
  • Child in Head Start or have a child receiving free or reduced lunch
  • Receipt of benefits through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Service (MDHHS)
  • Benefits to include but not limited to: SNAP, TANF, SDA, Medicaid and childcare benefits
  • Current enrollee in other assistance programs (Ex. WRAP, MEAP, HUD programs) that currently have income guideline restrictions
Poverty Chart


Fill out the Census
The Census Bureau will send a notice to all addresses in the US beginning in March 2020. Only one person per household needs to physically fill out the census but they need to count EVERYONE in the household. So, if 6 people live at the house as of April 1, 2020, then the person filling out the form counts all 6 people. The Census can be completed online, by phone or using a paper form. If you don’t have access to a computer, the city has Census kiosks where residents can take the Census for free. More information can be found here.