The City of Detroit is collecting recycling materials placed in the designated container at the curb every other week. The recycling program is voluntary, and residents must opt-in. The program is open to all residents residing in a single family home or in a house with up to 4 units, including those who did not previously recycle.
If you're not recycling, now is a great time to join thousands of Detroiters who are protecting the environment and creating less pollution by recycling.
How to get a recycling bin:
- All residents will need to purchase the recycling bin for $25 from their contractor to participate in the recycling program.
- Attend a recycling workshop (see details below) and get a Free recycling bin
- Play the Online Recycling Challenge Educational Game and get a Free recycling bin
Option 1: Request your recycling container from your contractor ($25):
- If you live on the east side or in southwest Detroit:
- Order your cart online at GFL Green For Life Detroit Residential Collection.
- If you live on the west side:
- Sign up for a cart online at Advanced Disposal Detroit Residential Collection.
Option 2: Get a free recycling container by attending workshop
You can learn more about Detroit’s curbside recycling program and receive a free recycling cart by attending a curbside recycling workshop with Zero Waste Detroit or Green Living Science.
To schedule or attend a recycling workshop near you, call
Option 3: Get a free recycling container by playing the Online Recycling Challenge Educational Game