The city of Detroit is collecting recycling materials placed in the designated container at the curb every other week. The recycling program is voluntary and open to all residents residing in a single family home or in a house with up to 4 units, including those who did not previously recycle.
If you're not recycling, now is a great time to join thousands of Detroiters who are protecting the environment and creating less pollution by recycling.
How to get a recycling cart (3 options):
- All residents can purchase a recycling cart for $25 from their contractor to participate in the recycling program.
- Attend a recycling workshop (see details below) and get a Free recycling cart.
- Play the Online Recycling Challenge Educational Game and get a Free recycling cart.
Option 1: Request your recycling cart from your contractor ($25)
- If you live on the east side or in southwest Detroit:
- Order your cart online at GFL Green For Life Detroit Residential Collection.
- If you live on the west side:
- Sign up for a cart online at Advanced Disposal Detroit Residential Collection.
Option 2: Get a free recycling container by attending workshop
You can learn more about Detroit’s curbside recycling program and receive a free recycling cart by attending a curbside recycling workshop with Zero Waste Detroit or Green Living Science.
To schedule or attend a recycling workshop near you, call
Option 3: Get a free recycling container by playing the Online Recycling Challenge Educational Game