Buildings, Safety, Engineering, and Environmental Department Coleman A. Young Municipal Center 2 Woodward Avenue, Zoning Counter, Room 409 Detroit, Michigan, 48226
Business Licenses Checklist
You Must Obtain a Building Permit or Occupancy Permit
You must visit the Zoning Division of BSEED to obtain the required permit necessary to open your business. This is a very important step that must be done.
A Certificate of Occupancy will be issued when a permit is completed. After the building has been certified for your intended use, proceed to step 2.
Choose a Name for Your Business or If You, Incorporate Your Business, You Must Register
a) Choose A Name For Your Business:
If you conduct business in Detroit under an assumed name (a name other than your real name), you must file an application for an Assumed Name Certificate with Wayne County. Assumed Name application forms are available at the Wayne County Clerk's Office.
b) If You Incorporate Your Business, You Must Register:
If you incorporate or establish a limited partnership, you must register with the State of Michigan. Please get legal advice about operating as a sole proprietor, a partnership, a limited partnership or a corporation. Incorporation forms are available at:
You Must Obtain a Sales Tax Number or Apply for Your Federal Tax ID Number
a) You Must Obtain A Sales Tax Number:
If you have any type of business in Detroit, you must have a sales tax number. The sales tax number form is available at:
Michigan Department of Treasury, Collections Division.
b) Apply For Your Federal Tax ID Number:
Corporations and partnerships require a Federal tax ID number. Obtain the Federal Tax ID forms at:
477 Michigan Avenue (at Cass)
Detroit, MI 48226.
Apply For Your Detroit Business License
You must have a Detroit business license to operate certain types of businesses in the city.
Apply for the license at:
You must pay all license fees when you apply.
Applicant Must Bring The Following:
- Assumed Name or Articles of Corporation Papers
- Information for all applicants and/or stockholders/corporation officers
- Telephone Numbers
- Driver License or State Identification Card
- Acceptable Form of Payment: Cash, Certified Check, Money Order or Credit Card (Master Card & Visa)
- Federal Identification Number (if applicable)
- Proof of property ownership – Lease (Notarized) or Land Contract/Property Deed (registered with Wayne County)
- Building Permit or Occupancy Permit (from the Zoning Counter, Room 409, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center)
- Read the Requirements for Income Tax Clearance Document.
- Complete the Request for Income Tax Clearance form.
- Complete the Employer's Withholding Registration form.
- Complete the Accounts Receivable Clearance form.
Forms Cannot Be Filed Electronically At This Time
Submit Completed Application including all Legal and Supporting Documents listed under Step 4.
Schedule All Required Inspections for Business Location.
Important Note: Permits and Inspections will be required prior to opening your business.
A Certificate of License will be issued once all approvals are secured. All Licenses Are Renewable Annually
City Ordinances are available in the City Clerk's Office located in Room 200 at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.
If not operating a business in the City of Detroit, please check with the city or township where you plan to do business.