Our community funding is based on Census count. Read more...
Landlord Compliance Manual
Landlords and rental property managers are responsible for the majority of Detroit’s housing units, and therefore play a pivotal role in the stabilization and revitalization of Detroit’s neighborhoods. BSEED, has developed a Landlord Compliance Manual to help landlords easily access critical information and resources to operate their business in the city. The Landlord Compliance Manual is intended to provide clarity to landlords on the City’s ordinance requirements, simplify the process for reaching compliance, and help connect landlords to cost-saving resources to improve their properties.
Contents of the Landlord Compliance Manual include:
- Rental Requirements - The basics about state and local requirements for landlords operating a one, two, or multi-family rental property in the city of Detroit.
- Register Your Property - Walking landlords through a few simple steps to register rental property with the City.
- Obtain Certificate of Compliance - Each step in the process to apply for and obtain your Certificate of Compliance in order to rent out your property.
- Inspection Tips - Helping landlords prepare for the City’s property inspection, offering a pre-inspection list that highlights the most commonly found violations.
- Addressing Lead - Lead hazard abatement requirements and tips for obtaining your Lead Clearance Report if you own a rental property built before 1978.
- Maintaining Your Property – Maintaining your rental property between inspections, obtaining permits and working with contractors to make improvements, and preventing damage to your property during periods of vacancy.
- Resources - Helpful tips and contacts to improve and maintain your property, lower your business operating costs, find qualified tenants, and purchase property.