What is this service?
- A partnership between DDOT and Lyft to provide Detroiters working late a ride to and from their bus stop on Woodward.
Why is DDOT providing this service?
- This program was created to provide more mobility to Detroiters working overnight and to learn how an on-demand type of service like Lyft can work with DDOT.
How long will this service run?
- The program will be limited to 2000 rides.
Who can use this service?
- Customers riding the 53-Woodward bus going to or from work between 12am and 5am, Monday through Friday.
How can I participate?
- Ride the 53-Woodward bus and get on or off at an eligible bus stop between the hours of 12am-5am Monday through Friday
- Text “W2W” to 313-456-9328. You will receive a link which will either take you to download the Lyft app (if you do not already have it installed on your phone), or it will take you directly to the Lyft app. If you text outside the program hours, you’ll receive a text asking you to text back between 12am and 5am, Monday through Friday.
- You will see a $7 Lyft credit appear in your app.
- Set your pickup location nearby your bus stop.
To ride with Lyft:
- Download the Lyft app
- Create an account
- If you followed the link that was sent to you in the text, you should see the $7 promo code available in your account - as long as you’re within the eligible time and location Request a ride
Why did you choose this route and time to pilot the service?
- The 53 Woodward Route between 12AM and 5AM gives us the opportunity to impact the most Detroiters and learn how to grow future services. If you have ideas on how we can improve or where you’d like to see this type of service in the future, call us at 313-933-1300.
What if I don’t have a smartphone?
- You, or a friend or family member can use Lyft Concierge to schedule a ride in advance.
- Remember, that you or a family member needs to text “W2W” to 313-456-9328 between the hours of 12am-5am in order to get the discount code when booking with Lyft Concierge
What if I don’t have a credit or debit card?
- You can use prepaid gift cards from Visa, American Express, Discover, or MasterCard. A minimum balance of $25 must be loaded on the card for you to book a Lyft ride.
What if I need wheelchair or physical assistance?
- Please request an accessible vehicle by enabling Lyft’s Access Mode
- Tap on your photo in the top left, then tap 'Settings' in the app
- Tap 'Services'
- Tap 'Access' to enable
What happens if the ride costs more than $7?
- You are responsible for any balance greater than $7. You can pay by credit, debit, or prepaid gift card.
How many times can I use this service?
- You can use the service once per night for the duration of the program.
Do I have to go home?
- You can go wherever you need to; however, remember that DDOT will only pay the first $7 of any ride and that you can only use the code once per night.
What is Lyft?
- Lyft is a ridesharing service which matches a nearby driver who then picks you up and takes you where you need to go.
How do I know that I will be safe?
- Safety is DDOT and Lyft’s number one priority. Lyft conducts extensive criminal and driving record checks on all drivers. In addition, drivers are required to pass vehicle inspections showing that they have reliable vehicles that are model year 2004 or newer and are in a safe, reliable condition.
How long will it take for my ride to arrive after I request it?
- A driver should be there within 5 to 15 minutes.
How many people can ride in a car?
- Most vehicles allow you to bring up to 4 passengers (including yourself).
How is this service funded?
- This service is funded through a grant by the New Economy Initiative.
What if something happens that isn’t covered here?
- If it is an emergency call 911.
- Call DDOT customer service at 313-933-1300
- For questions about DDOT outside of this pilot visit http://www.detroitmi.gov/ddot
For more questions about Lyft’s service, please visit their website: