City of Detroit provides downtown traffic and parking tips for busy Thursday evening
Aretha Franklin Tribute Concert at Chene Park, Lions’ home game and JazzFest street closures all taking place Aug. 30
Thursday evening (August 30) will be busy in and around downtown, and the City of Detroit is providing information for those planning to attend events to help them navigate traffic and parking. The two major events taking place are the Aretha Franklin tribute concert at Chene Park and the Detroit Lions home game at Ford Field. In addition, some street closures will be implemented in preparation for this weekend’s JazzFest.
“We are urging anyone coming downtown for these or any other events to arrive very early to make sure they can park and get to their venue on time,” said Ron Brundidge, the Detroit Department of Public Works Director.
The Michigan Department of Transportation is urging visitors traveling to Chene Park to use I-375 and exit at Jefferson. Those attending the Lions’ game should: 1) exit at Bagley off the Lodge Freeway, 2) exit at Mack off I-375, and 3) exit at Rosa Parks Blvd. using I-75. Heavy traffic congestion is expected throughout downtown as visitors arrive and workers leave downtown. Visitors also are encouraged to avoid Larned due to utility related lane closures.
Individuals are encouraged to use public transportation, such as DDOT, SMART or QLine to get downtown, and DDOT to get to Chene Park.
Aretha Franklin Tribute Concert – August 30
The City of Detroit will relax parking enforcement on the streets around Chene Park for the concert on Aug. 30.
Individuals may park at meters or use parking lots in the area. However, vehicles blocking driveways/alleys, parked in corner clearances, at handicap signs or bus stops will be ticketed and possibly towed.
In addition, there will be traffic restrictions around Chene Park for the concert:
- Chene will be two lanes southbound to allow access to parking lots
- Chene will be closed at Jefferson once parking lots are full
- Restricted traffic on Atwater between St. Aubin and Dubois
- No traffic on Atwater from Dubois to Chene
- The Chene Park box office will open with access off of Jos. Campau at Atwater
Individuals attending the concert will have access to two parking lots. Concert-goers should use Chene to access the parking lot on Chene near Jefferson. Individuals may access a second parking lot using Chene or Franklin.
Aretha Franklin Viewing at New Bethel Baptist Church – August 30
Philadelphia from Linwood to LaSalle Blvd. will be closed, and residents will be allowed access to their homes.
There may be intermittent closures on the northbound lanes of Linwood between Euclid and Blaine based on the size of the crowd.
JazzFest Related Street Closures
Here are some of the key street closures expected to be in effect:
Beginning 8:30 p.m. on August 29
- Northbound Woodward Avenue from Larned to Monroe
- Southbound and northbound Woodward between Campus Martus and State/Gratiot
- Eastbound Monroe from Campus Martius to Farmer
- Both sides of Cadillac Square from Campus Martius to Bates
Beginning 8 p.m. on August 30
- Southbound Woodward from Michigan to Larned
- Fort from Griswold to Woodward
- Westbound Monroe from Farmer to Campus Martius
- East and westbound Michigan between Griswold and Woodward
Beginning 10 a.m. on August 31
- Congress between Bates and Griswold
Street Closures and Parking For Aretha Franklin Funeral