For Service Providers of Detroit Homeless Residents
The City of Detroit ID Card program – or “D-ID” - was launched December 7, 2016 in recognition that diverse populations, including many homeless residents and those at risk of homelessness, lack an accepted form of government ID, without which they cannot access needed services and resources.
The Detroit ID Card is accepted as Proof of ID by all City programs and departments including the Detroit Police Department. It is also accepted by local health care providers, pharmacies and utility companies. Cardholders may open a checking or savings account at One Detroit Credit Union branches and receive discounts at numerous businesses across Detroit. Regardless of one’s income or residence status in the USA, residents of the City of Detroit with the requisite documents can obtain a Detroit ID card. For more information about the D-ID card program, go to www.detroitmi.gov/Detroit-ID.
To apply for the D-ID the following documents are required:
- An HMIS ID Card or SERVICEpoint® Record as primary proof of ID if client has no other Primary ID Documents
- Secondary ID Documents to total the D-ID program’s requisite 300 points; Detroit ID Application Checklist available here
- D-ID “Chronically Homeless Qualification Checklist”completed by your agency representative which serves as proof of client’s eligibility for the Adult Discount Card fee of $10;
- D-ID “Chronically Homeless Third-Party Certification Letter,” on your agency letterhead if case worker does not accompany client to D-ID appointment; letter template available here
- Proof of Detroit Residency is provided by the Chronically Homeless Checklist and Agency Letter
- *Witness Affidavit. If the applicant has an HMIS ID Card or other accepted photo ID worth 200 points but lacks others ID documents, a family member or friend can sign before a Notary Public, a Witness Affidavit form (100 points) to testify the applicant is who he/she claims to be, available HERE
- The Affiant (witness) must accompany the applicant to her/his Detroit ID appointment and present the signed, notarized Witness Affidavit together with the HMIS ID or other ID documents totaling 300 points.
To make an appointment for your client:
On-Site Enrollment of Homeless Clients and Agency Staff
The D-ID team has successfully enrolled groups of homeless consumers as well as agency staff at service providers' facilities. To set up a D-ID enrollment on-site at your facility, contact D-ID Program Coordinator Jose Franco at email@example.com or by phone at (313) 736-5383.
Office Hours of Operation and Locations
Monday and Wednesdays 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM, Saturday 10:00 AM-6:00 PM
Southwest Detroit: Patton Recreation Center 2301 Woodmere St., Detroit (Free parking)
Eastside Detroit: Samaritan Center 5555 Connor St.Bldg #2210, Suite 2243,Detroit (Free parking)
Please Also Consider Becoming a Detroit ID Partner!
Several service providers for homeless Detroit residents are already D-ID Partners.
If you have questions about becoming a Partner or about the information provided here, please contact Detroit ID Card Program Coordinator José Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (313) 736-5383.