“Having completed a major overhaul of the demolition process, Detroit’s new demolition practices balance speed, cost and environmental performance”
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (9/8/2014)
We are proud that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has recognized Detroit's demolition program as one of the safest in the country, due to the many steps we take to protect our residents and the environment:
: Contractors are required to follow this checklist for every demolition, if you see a contractor not following the protocols please call 844-DET-DEMO (338-3366) to report.
- Removing asbestos: Every house being torn down today using federal funds has all its hazardous asbestos removed prior to demolition.
- Advance notice: We post door hangers prior to demolition to let neighbors know what they can do to avoid any dust or other potential health concerns.
- Dust control: The city requires that houses undergoing demolition be sprayed with water before and during demolition to keep dust down, and that the debris is sprayed as it is loaded up and hauled away.
- Air quality testing: We test the air quality at demolition sites to ensure that no harmful contaminants are being released into the environment.
- Stiff penalties. Nothing matters more to us than the health and safety of our residents. Contractors caught violating Detroit Building Authority requirements are suspended or terminated from Detroit’s demolition program. Neighbors are encouraged to call 844-DET-DEMO to report any problems during or after demolition.
We aim for demo done right. Residents can call
844-DET-DEMO to report any problems during or after demolition.